What is VistA?
VistA is a public domain electronic health record programmed by federal employees working for the US Department of Veterans Affairs (previously the Veterans Administration) over the past several decades. For more info, see this page.
What is RPMS?
RPMS is a public domain electronic health record that is used by the Indian Health Service (IHS). Prior to the 1980s it used a different architecture from VistA, but since the 80's it has shared a large amount of its architecture with VistA. For more info, see this page.
What is Vistapedia?
This wiki covers installation, configuration, and usage of these VistA derivatives. It also serves as an introduction to the VistA Documentation Library for everyone outside the VA. In addition, current events, development advances, and other news about the flavors of VistA are posted here.
Versions of VistA
There are several versions of VistA that are used outside of the VA. (See this page for some introductory information regarding aspects of the different versions.)
- vxVista (EPL licensed) (requires a proprietary Cache database) (Home) (Download)
- vxVista can now be ported to run on the FIS GT.M platform as well. The instructions can be found here (external link).
- RPMS (public domain under FOIA) (Home) (SourceForge Download Site)
- Experimental GT.M port can be found here
(Other versions such as da Vinci Vista, VOE Vista, and Hui Vista no longer exist or are no longer maintained.)
VistA and the Web
Adapting VistA to web and mobile can be done using Enterprise Web Developer (EWD). EWD for VistA comes in the following forms:
- How does VistA work? -- basic information about VistA's components.
- Where do I Start? -- Start here.
- FAQ -- common Questions about VistA.
- Usage -- start using VistA once it is successfully installed
- Popular pages -- frequently viewed pages in this wiki.
- Categories -- good for browsing.
- Special pages -- a form of Table of Contents for this wiki.
- VistA Community Challenges -- the issues we're trying to solve currently.
- Flydoc's documentation -- training docs from a real-world implementation
Meaningful Use Stage One
- Meaningful Use -- criteria and resources for Stage 1 (Final Rule)
- Meaningful Use (Interim Rule) -- analysis of the EHR requirements for Stage 1 (Interim Rule) to qualify for stimulus funds from the US government.
- Outpatient Meaningful Use Stage One - How to meet Meaningful Use Stage 1 using WorldVistA.
Meaningful Use Stage 2
SMART Enabling VistA/WorldVistA EHR
Topics in active development
- Current events -- The 21st VistA Community Meeting was held June 8-11 in Fairfax Virginia.
- Old Main Page
- Installation Overview (old)
- Licensing issues
- Other client modules (page on medsphere.org)
- User setups -- specific success (or failure) stories with various configurations provided by various users and adopters
- Sam's Pages Sam's Pages for various config stuff in VISTA.
- Broker Help
- Cook Book -- The VISTA Cook book.
- VistA enthusiasts and developers connect through the Hardhats Google Group. For more info, email: info at worldvista dot org.
To get access to Vistapedia, contact David Whitten ( whitten at worldvista.org ) through an e-mail, or phone 713 870 3834 to get an account. Please send a contact telephone number with your e-mail, and/or have an e-mail address ready when you call. (I need both.) Please decide on your preferred User name and send it as well. We have provided a page for new users and their current status. Thank you.